The Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotan reported the current state of various legislative bills the community should monitor.
The Council’s Initiatives on Gender-Based Violence
Working Group on Violence Against Asian Women and Children Bill: Requests that the state fund a 2-year study on the nature, scope, and prevalence of violence against Asian women and children in Minnesota. A multi-disciplinary advisory group will oversee the study and report back to the Legislature in 2017 on the study’s findings and recommendations.
- S.F. 310 Authors: Hayden (chief-author), Ingebrigsten, Saxhaug, Pappas, and Hawj.
- Referred to the State and Local Government Committee
- H.F. 336 Authors: Clark (chief-author); Cornish; Laine; Hamilton; Liebling; Johnson, S., and Ward
- Referred to the Public Safety and Crime Prevention Policy and Finance Committee
Exploited Women and Children Rental Assistance Program Bill: Requests that the state fund a 2-year transitional rental voucher pilot program for Asian women and children who are victims of domestic violence. Included in this are other forms of gender based violence which put women and children at risk of becoming homeless. This program is designed with women from our community in mind, but it will also be accessible to all victims regardless of their race.
- S.F. 311 Senate Authors: Johnson (chief-author), Hayden, Saxhaug, Ingebrigsten, and Hawj.
- Referred to the Health, Human Services and Housing Committee
- H.F. 335 Authors: Clark (chief-author), Gunther, Laine, Cornish, Liebling, Hamilton, Ward and Johnson, S.
- Referred to the Committee on Job Growth and Energy Affordability Policy and Finance Committee
Bills our Council is following
Employment and Economic Development
Neighborhood Development Center Small Business Incubator Grant Funding Provided, and Money Appropriated: Appropriates funding to the commissioner of employment and economic development for grants to the Neighborhood Development Center for the small business incubator program.
- S.F. 521 (Hawj) – Referred to the Senate Finance Committee
- H.F. 662 (Mahoney) – Referred to the House Job Growth & Energy Affordability Policy and Finance Committee – Hearing on 2/16/2015 @ 12:40pm
Workforce Development; Employees Dual Training Competency Grants Program Development and Appropriation: Requires the commissioner of labor and industry to identify competency standards for dual training and appropriates money for a dual training competency grant program.
- S.F. 5 (Bonoff) –Recommended to pass as amended by the Senate State and Local Government Committee; re-referred to the Senate Finance Committee.
- H.F. 551 (O’Neill) – Referred to the House Higher Education Policy and Finance Committee
Small Business Investment Credit Increased: Amends Minnesota Statutes 2014, section 116J.8737, subdivision 5 to increase the small business investment credit.
- S.F. 186 (Gazelka) – Referred to the Senate Taxes Committee – Hearing on 2/18 @ 8:30am
- H.F. 65 (Anderson) – Referred to the House Job Growth & Energy Affordability Policy and Finance Committee
High School Career Counseling Services Appropriation: Appropriates funding to the commissioner of employment and economic development to operate career counseling services to assist high school students in selecting careers of interest and post-secondary education.
- S.F. 472 (Bonoff) – Referred to the Senate Jobs, Agriculture and Rural Development Committee
- H. F. 552 (Gunther) – Referred to the House Education Innovation Policy Committee
Head Start Programs Funding Increased, and Money Appropriated: Increases funding for Head Start Programs and appropriates $ 25,100,00 each fiscal year.
- H.F. 317 (Anderson) – Referred to the Education Finance Committee
Universal Preschool for Four-Year-Old Students: Requests funding for universal all-day preschool for four-year-old students. Our Council testified in the E-12 Budget Division Committee hearing on January 21, 2015 as to why SF 6 would benefit our community.
- S. F. 6 (Hoffman) – Referred to the Senate Finance Committee
- H.F. 46 (Murphy) – Referred to the House Education Innovation Policy Committee
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MNSCU) Tuition Relief Authorization and “Power of You” Program Modification and Appropriation: Requests funding in the form of tuition assistance for state high school graduates to attend the Minnesota State Colleges and University (MnSCU) for the first two academic years.
- S.F. 2 (Stumpf) – Referred to the Senate Finance Committee
- H.F. 340 (Carlson) – Referred to the House Higher Education Policy and Finance Committee
Parent-Child Home Program Grant Appropriation: Requests funding for the Parent-Child Home Program, to be used for an evidence-based and research-validated early literacy and school readiness program for children ages 16 months to four years.
- S.F. 213 (Bonoff) – Referred to the Senate Finance Committee
- H.F. 318 (Loon) – Referred to the House Education Finance Committee
School Breakfast Program State Aid Increase: Amending Minnesota Statutes 2014, section 124D.1158, subdivisions 3, 4 to increase state aid for the school breakfast program.
- S.F. 344 (Johnson, A.) – Referred to the Senate Finance Committee.
Number of Voters an Individual is Allowed to Assist in Marking Ballots Increase: Amends Minnesota Statutes 204C.15, subdivision 1 to allow a person to assist up to fifteen voters during one election in marking the ballots as directed by the voters. The current law limits a person to assist only three voters in one election.
- S.F. 262 (Hawj) – Referred to the Senate Rules and Administration Committee. Our Council testified before the committee on Tuesday, 2/10.
- H.F. 174 (Mahoney) – Referred to the House Government Operations and Elections Policy Committee
Housing Opportunities Made Equitable (HOME) Pilot Project Appropriation: Requests $100 million in funding for Housing Opportunities Made Equitable (HOME) Pilot Project to support closing the disparity gap in affordable home-ownership for all communities of color and American Indians. The Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotans is a member of the HOME Coalition.
- S.F. 282 (Hawj) – Referred to the Senate Finance Committee
Appropriation; Housing: Appropriates funding for the department of human services long-term homeless supportive services programs.
- S.F. 551 (Wiklund) – Referred to the Health and Human Services Budget Division Hearing on 2/18/2015 @ 8:30am
Appropriation; Minnesota Housing Finance Agency: Appropriates funding for the Minnesota Housing Finance Agency programs. The programs are: 1) the family homeless prevention and assistance programs, 2) the challenge fund to support workforce housing, 3) rental assistance for highly mobile students, 4) rental assistance for adults released from state correctional facilities, 5) rehabilitation loans, 6) rental housing assistance program, and 7) capacity-building grants for non-profits.
- S.F. 456 (Dibble) – Referred to the Senate Finance Committee
Public Housing Infrastructure Bond Issue and Appropriations: Requests the authorization of $80 million in additional housing infrastructure bonds and appropriating $20 million for public housing rehabilitation to address statewide affordable housing.
- S.F. 77 (Marty) – Referred to the Senate Capital Investment Committee
- H.F. 73 (Hausman) – Referred to the House Job Growth and Energy Affordability Policy and Finance Committee
Foreign-born and Other Students Succeed in Nursing Program: Appropriates funding for programs to help foreign-born and other students succeed in nursing programs.
- H.F. 692 (Clark) – Referred to the House Higher Education Policy and Finance Committee
Eliminating MNsure Board: Requests that the MNsure Board be eliminated and that MNsure be designated a state agency – the Department of MNsure.
- S.F. 139 (Lourey) – Recommended to pass as amended by the Senate State and Local Government Committee, re-referred to the Senate Health, Human Services and Housing Committee.
Campus Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence Policy: Requires campuses to have sexual harassment and sexual violence policies, and encourages good faith reporting, and requires coordination between postsecondary institutions and law enforcement.
- H.F. 742 (O’Neill)- Referred to House Higher Education Policy and Finance Committee
Health Disparities Provisions Modifications and Appropriation; Health Equity Data Plan Establishment: Requires the commissioner of health to develop a standardized set of measures to assess the quality of health care services offered. The commissioner may require measures to be stratified by sociodemographic factors that are correlated with health disparities.
- S.F. 501 (Wiklund) – Referred to the Health, Human Services and Housing Committee – Hearing on 2/16/2015 @ Noon
Health and Human Services Budget: Establishes the health and human services budget in the areas of children and family services, chemical and mental health services, health care, continuing care, MinnesotaCare, and others.
- S. F. 825 (Lourey) – Referred to the Senate Health, Human Services and Housing Committee
- H.F. 850 (Liebling) – Referred to the House Health and Human Services Finance Committee
Minnesotan Family Investment Program (MFIP) Cash Assistance: Appropriates funding to increase MFIP cash assistance.
- S.F. 734 (Hayden) – Referred to the Senate Finance Committee
- H.F. 869 (Franson) – Referred to the House Health and Human Services Reform Committee
Child Care Higher Education Student Grant Eligibility Modification: Modifies child care grant eligibility under Minnesota Statutes 136A.125, subdivision 2 to allow individuals enrolled in Higher Education and that have fulfilled program requirements to be eligible for child care assistance.
- S.F. 375 (Hall) – Referred to the Senate Higher Education and Workforce Development Committee
Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) and General Assistance Cash Grants Increase and Appropriation: Requests increase in funding for MFIP and general assistance to adjust for inflation.
- S.F. 432 (Eaton) – Referred to the Senate Health, Human Services and Housing Committee
- H.F. 585 (Laine) – Referred to the House Health and Human Services Finance Committee
Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) 60-Month Limit on Assistance Elimination and Appropriation: Repeals the 60-months limit on MFIP assistance under Minnesota Statutes 256J.415 and 256J.42.
- S.F. 431 (Eaton) – Referred to the Health, Human Services and Housing Committee
Deficiency Funding Provided for Food Assistance: Appropriates $246,000 to the commissioner of human services for the Minnesota Food Assistance Program under Minnesota Statutes, section 256D.053.
- S.F. 174 (Cohen) – Second reading on 2/5, third reading and passed on 2/12, referred for comparison with H.F. 264 on 2/12
- H.F. 264 (Knoblach) – Recommended to adopt as amended by the House Ways and Means Committee, second reading on 2/12, referred to the Chief Clerk for comparison with S.F. 174.
Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) and General Assistance Program Screening for Controlled Substances: Requests that MFIP and General Assistance program enrollees be required to screen for the use of controlled substances and sets the criteria of ineligibility for benefits for enrollees who test positive for the controlled substance use.
- H.F. 289 (Quam) – Referred to the House Health and Human Services Reform Committee
If you have questions about any bill or wish to testify on any of the listed bills, please email the Counil’s Legislative Liaison at Tenzin.Dolkar@state.mn.us.